Translate

Wednesday 27 February 2013

Confucious say...

The Librarian posted this on Facebook. Admittedly, after a horror week (I know, it's only Wednesday night, and I'm not going into details - but, trust me, you CAN have had a horror week by a Wednesday) I am finding fairly simple things funny. This did amuse me:
 
But, there is another side to it. I remember, in our early days, DB often used to ask me how I knew 'so much.' Personally, I don't think I know so much - a great deal about a few specific things, and then lots of little bits about all sorts of miscellaneous stuff. I can surprise myself sometimes with the odd random fact that pops out in conversation that leaves me wondering how and why I actually know it... 

However, what I do know, absolutely, is that without the heritage of reading my mother passed on to me, and the fact that I'm completely addicted to owning and reading books in large quantities as a normal daily activity, I have acquired knowledge that I wouldn't have otherwise. A lot of it has been via fiction too. I've run the gauntlet, as I'm sure many of you other book junkies out there have, of people who dismiss fiction. "Stories...I never read fiction. I only ever read non-fiction." What a lot those poor non-fiction exclusives miss. Plus, I can honestly say that there have been novels I've read that lead me to pursue genuine academic research - lots and lots of non-fiction reading there. Conversely, I've used fiction as reference material in academic work - that can be a bit fraught...it depends a little bit on how laterally one's markers think! The thing is, reading opens doors. Without wanting to sound condescending, I do feel sorry for people who don't read, because there are whole worlds to discover out there between the covers of books. And for those who are studying - go acquaint yourself with the library at your college, school, university. You actually can't find everything via Google...

6 comments:

  1. Isn't it so true! Reading of all kinds feeds imagination, curiosity and knowledge. I know I will read a novel and then find I want to know more about something raised in the novel so off I go and read some more to satisfy the curiosity. It is always great to have a younger reader have their curiosity aroused by a novel and then come to the library seeking more information. Fiction feeds curiosity like nothing else. Hope the week gets better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Arabella!
      Fiction can be such a useful tool for engaging students with various topics. How much social history do we learn from Jane Austen, or seafaring history from Ballantyne...? And, as you say, one book leads to another, and another...Helene Hanff in 84 Charing Cross Road is a dining example of a literary snowball effect!!
      Media training day today (blogging, among other things) so a work day, but not the office, so an improvement overall, thank you.
      K

      Delete
  2. I can only feel the deepest pity for those who don't read fiction; they only get to live one life! But then again, maybe we should keep our secret, and let them toil in darkness. After all, these "I haven't a moment to waste on fiction" snobs are the very people who make us look smart...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jack!
      I've heard you say that before about the many lives we get to experience as readers. For myself, I think it's more the many worlds that open up via the books - but in essence, we're coming from similar perspectives. All the digital stuff can offer information and entertainment, but I don't find, for myself, that it takes me somewhere else - which tallies with the comments I hear from tv junkies about watching tv to 'switch off' - hence the zombie couch potato cliche!

      Delete
  3. That quote is so true! When I discuss my reading with other people they always say 'but how do you find the time?' Easy - I don't have a lot of free time but I prioritise reading over say, watching the TV or playing the Xbox (both of which I do as well, I don't want to sound like a snob!).

    And fiction is so worth reading. I read fiction and non-fiction and neither is 'better' than the other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sam!
      Too true - it's all about priorities. I travel three stops on my usual train commute - not very far. If I'm organised, I knit scarves - short rows, surprising how much progress can be made!! However, I ALWAYS have a book in my bag, and a chapter can be read in that time too. Even at the busiest times, there are always odd moments to escape into a book - if you look for them.

      I read everything - fiction, non-fiction, poetry, biogs, essays, articles... There's always something of value to be enjoyed.

      K

      Delete